Local elections are expected to be held in Sri Lanka on 10 February 2018. 15.8 million Sri Lankans will be eligible to elect 8,293 members to 341 local authorities (24 municipal councils, 41 urban councils and 276 divisional councils) in the country. This will be the first time elections to all local authorities will be held on the same day under the proposed 20th amendment to the Constitution; it is thus expected to be the largest election in Sri Lankan history. This will also be the first election under the mixed electoral system where 60% of members will be elected using first-past-the-post voting and the remaining 40% through closed list proportional representation.
15.8 MILLION VOTERS
341 LOCAL AUTHORITIES
24 Municipal Councils, 41 Urban Councils and 276 Divisional Councils